West Virginia Drug And Alcohol Rehab Centers
What is hidden from view in West Virginia is the addiction epidemic. Few states have been as hard by drug abuse as West Virginia, which ranks 4th in the nation for addiction. There is a grave need for West Virginia drug and alcohol rehab centers.
Learn About Substance Abuse Treatment In West Virginia:
Addiction In West Virginia
West Virginia substance abuse statistics show just how frightening the state of drug abuse is. Taken all together, they make it clear why it is one of the worst states in the nation for addiction:
- West Virginia has the highest rate of opioid overdoses in the U.S. at over 49 per 100,000 residents.
- Heroin and fentanyl are the greatest culprits, but prescription opiates are increasingly problematic. The state has one of the highest rates of prescription at 81.3 scripts written per 100 residents.
- The situation is so grave that it has been called an epidemic by the medical community. It has even gathered national attention.
- While the state government is attempting to address the crisis, it has yet to make much of a dent.
With all of this in mind, it is clear that few states are as in need of drug rehab at West Virginia.
West Virginia Drug Rehabs
Because the addiction epidemic is so severe in West Virginia, it was one of the first states to pass a Good Samaritan drug law. This means that anyone who is overdosing or is around someone that is overdosing can seek treatment without prosecution. While this does not extend to non-emergency care, West Virginia drug rehab organizations will not report the use of illicit substances that do not take place on their grounds.
Because West Virginia is one of the most impoverished states, low-cost and free rehabs are critical. There are more than 50 such options in the state. However, there are also other options, including luxury residential centers, making it easy for patients to find a center that fits within their budget and supports their lifestyle.
Therapy Options In The State
Individuals must also keep in mind the therapies that treat drug addiction in West Virginia.
Rehab centers might offer any mix of the following:
- Treatment of underlying behavioral disorders that contribute to addiction
- Medically assisted detox to allow patients to get clean safely
- Opiate replacement to safely eliminate dependence on illicit drugs
- Anti-craving medications for alcohol and opioids
- Group and individual therapy
- Alternative therapies, such as horseback riding and stretching
- Aftercare to help patients stay sober after ending active treatment
For some people seeking West Virginia help for drug and alcohol rehab, the process of vetting centers can be overwhelming. It might be best for potential patients to let professional consultants help. These people are familiar with centers in West Virginia, and after a brief interview, can determine which are best in the given situation.
Ending Addiction in West Virginia Rehabs
With its rate of drug use incredibly high, West Virginia relies on drug rehabs to improve life for its citizens. By enrolling in the right program, anyone suffering from addiction can get clean. The work will be hard, but the rewards of a sober life are endless.
- West Virginia Opioid Summary. National Institute on Drug Abuse. 2019. https://www.drugabuse.gov/opioid-summaries-by-state/west-virginia-opioid-summary.
- Opioid Summaries by State. National Institute on Drug Abuse. 2019. https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/opioids/opioid-summaries-by-state.
- Merino R, Bowden N, Katamneni S, Coustasse A. The Opioid Epidemic in West Virginia. The Health Care Manager (Frederick). 2019; 38(2): 187-195. doi: 10.1097/HCM.0000000000000256. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30920991.
- Fighting Substance Abuse. Office of the WV Attorney General. 2018. https://ago.wv.gov/consumerprotection/Fighting%20Substance%20Abuse/Pages/default.aspx.